Thursday, June 25, 2015

Times are a changing!



As most authors now know Amazon is going to start paying authors for the amount of pages read and not for each complete book. I’m not certain how I feel about this. On the plus side, it could free readers up to explore more books if they are only going to pay for it if they like it. On the negative, most casual readers never finish a book or do it over a long period of time. And how about if readers skip a section? What will it do to royalties?

Of course, there are other options for authors. You can publish with Smashwords or through any of the other hundreds of ebook outlets. But let’s face it, Amazon is king! I’m not sure how this new policy is going to change the publishing industry but it will change it. And then what’s next, paying musicians for how much of a song is listened to?

I, like hundreds of thousands of others, am a slave to Amazon and how they control their merchandise. The industry is changing and I will be forced to change with it. I am an author who needs an outlet to reach his audience and almighty Amazon is my king.


No comments:

Post a Comment